Monday, July 15, 2013

The Cross

Leaving the castle, we followed along the flat country road boarded by wheat field and evergreens. A dusty tractor motored by and the sun gently touched our brows. We were being led by Sokol, a longtime Albanian staff member. He had a surprise for us.

We came to a tree with a bench and flowers in it. Over the bench was a large crucifix. This is definitely something we don't see in America but in Bavaria it is common for a farmer to have a crucifix at such a scene.

"What is the significance of the crucifix?" Sokol asks, "It says that this is the most important moment in history. Jesus died in our place and changed everything. We can bed close to God."

"I wandered one time into this field. There were troubles at the castle - relationship troubles. I was overwhelmed. I had moment of transformation as I prayed to the Lord for help and put my hands on cross. I remembered Jesus was abandoned by all, even his 3 friends when asked to pray for him went to sleep."

"It was like God spoke to me that it would be alright. He would be there for me."

"Sometimes we may think of the crucifix here as a good luck charm, maybe for crops to grow, but at the heart it must mean more. It must mean someone thought this was the most important thing in history. This is the most important focus on in life. This Jesus dying in the cross is worthy of our attention."

No comments:

Post a Comment